You’ve finally made that decision to start your fitness journey, but you don’t know how to begin; or maybe you’ve just registered in a gym, but you struggle with knowing what to do when you get there, or even finding the motivation to go in the first place! If this is you, worry no more. We have tips that will not only help you get started, but also keep you motivated and grinding hard all through your fitness journey.
1. First thing is to know your “why”. You need to have a good reason to work out beyond just looking good. That reason, your “why”, is what will help you make that decision to push through your fitness journey especially when motivation is low
2. Learn about fitness. They say knowledge is power, and it’s no different when it comes to fitness. Learn about the benefits of being fit, different exercises and what they are meant for, and you’d begin to find more reasons why you should work out. Get a fitness instructor, coach, or mentor; or if you’re the type who can learn on your own, do just that; follow fitness influencers on social media, watch YouTube videos and make learning about fitness a new hobby
3. Set Realistic Goals. If your goal is to lose a few pounds, a few sessions in the gym won’t get you there. It took time to put on the pounds, and it’ll take some time to get them off. Don’t get discouraged if you are not seeing results immediately. Set short term goals to complete your daily or weekly workouts versus focusing on that desired summer body you want. One thing about fitness is this: if you put in the work, you will surely get results.
4. Always have a plan for your workout. Don’t be that girl or guy who goes to the gym without a plan; that’s a sure way to not get anything done. Plan your sessions in advance; a good fitness instructor can help you develop a plan, and if you don’t have an instructor, there are a good number of fitness apps that you can use to plan your sessions. Focus on the fundamentals of a plan i.e., how many minutes will your session be? What exercise type (cardio, strength training, mobility etc.) or body part are your working on? Which exercises will you be doing? Start with these in mind and you can easily develop a plan to guide you through your sessions
5. Get external influences to motivate you. Motivation can be extrinsic. And external motivation works well too. Examples are a great workout partner, a nice gym, studio or outdoor space with great ambience and great people. Also, you can let your gym wear motivate you. Sounds interesting, but we find it to be true. Wear workout clothes that you’re comfortable in which enhance your look. A little bit of style never hurt anyone and there’s just something exciting about having clothes you want to show off in. Sometimes, just that is a good reason to go to the gym!
Are there any other tips you have for beginners? Share these, and your thoughts on the 5 listed above, in the comment section below. And always remember to have fun while you work out!